Getting worried after you encounter an error while accessing the company file is obvious. However, not all errors indicate an issue with the company file, and some can arise when your QuickBooks Desktop application is misconfigured. One such error is QuickBooks error 6189 that appears right after you open the company file and triggers an error message that displays, “An error occurred when QuickBooks tried to access the company file (-6189, -816).” This is a common company file error that appears because of incorrect company file hosting settings. In this article, you will learn how to identify the cause of error code 6189 and resolve it with some easy troubleshooting solutions.
If one or more users are getting the same company file error in the network, you might require the help of an expert to resolve the issue. Dial 1.800.579.0391 and speak to a certified QuickBooks Desktop expert now for immediate help fixing QuickBooks Desktop error 6189
What Makes QuickBooks Encounter Error 6189?
In the introduction of this article, you have already found that having issues in the hosting settings is the primary cause of getting company file error 6189. Some other reasons that can prompt the same error in QuickBooks Desktop are mentioned below.
- General issues in the performance of your QuickBooks Desktop application can also trigger error code 6189 while accessing the company file.
- QuickBooks Database Server Manager isn’t running or is not connected to the company file.
- If you have your company file placed on some external storage device or on the cloud, which is supposed to be on the local drive of the workstation or the server.
Follow the quick solutions mentioned below to rectify QuickBooks company file error 6189 quickly.
Also Read : Quickbooks Error 6094
Here’s How to Fix QuickBooks Desktop Company File Error 6189
Solution 1: Fix QuickBooks Program Performance Issues using Quick Fix my Tool
- To access the Quick Fix my Tool program, you will need to have QuickBooks Tool Hub installed in the first place.
- Download and install QuickBooks Tool Hub and run it on your system.
- Go to the Program Problems tab and select Quick Fix my Program tool.
- Let the tool run and resolve general program issues and retry to access the company file to check if the error is resolved.
Solution 2: Reconfigure Hosting on the Server and the Workstation Computer
- First, go to the server computer and click the File tab.
- Now expand the Utilities drop-down list and ensure that the QuickBooks is running in multi-user mode.
- Go to the Utilities drop-down on each workstation connected to the server and ensure all are running in single-user mode.
- Change the hosting settings if required on the server or any workstation.
Solution 3: Run QuickBooks Database Server Manager and Connect the Company File to it
Click the Windows Start button and search QuickBooks Database Server Manager from the search bar. Select QuickBooks Database Server Manager from the search results and click Start Scan to connect the company file.
If the error is still not resolved, move the company file to the system’s local storage and for any additional help fixing QuickBooks error 6189, contact QuickBooks Desktop technical support team at 1.800.579.0391.
Also Read : Quickbooks Error 15241