PCOS or Polycystic Ovarian syndrome is what many gynecologists define as the “next big pandemic grappling the entire world.” On an average 6 out of 10 women suffer from Polycystic Ovarian syndrome , 2 have complained about facial hair and painful periods and one has complained about delayed menstruation every month.
A well-known Gynaecologist in Ludhiana defines PCOS “ as a disorder identified by multiple cysts in the ovaries because of lifestyle related changes like eating too much of junk and processed food, abnormal sleep hours, increased stress levels etc”.
But in a nutshell we all need to know that is PCOS also has an effect on the digestive system of the individual ,let us understand in detail how does it affect and if at all there is a correlation between the two.
Let us understand the same in detail.
- A woman struggling with PCOS has a higher level of insulin sensitivity which is why her blood sugar levels remain risen on a higher side hence she is always advised by medical professionals to be on a diet less of sugar , unprocessed foods . The prime reason being that because the insulin levels are always alleviated because of the junk eating of fast food , the ratio of the LSH and FSH which is the follicle stimulating hormone and the lutenizing hormone are often reversed which actually adds layers to the intestinal wall to avoid movement of food through the GI tract and assimilate into the blood stream , because an addition of sugar into the blood stream would alleviate the levels of the blood sugar levels and thus aggravate the problem of insulin sensitivity explained a Gastro doctor in Ludhiana.
- Secondly PCOS patients always complain about the problem of gas and bloating we need to first understand what actually causes the problem , we need to understand the root cause of bloating and acidity , bloating and acidity usually occurs when food is not being able to be digested within the intestinal walls, because the intestinal walls have been thick it prevents the easy flow of food through the intestinal tract and hence causes a kind of blockage within the lower intestine , and undigested food gradually leads to bloating and gas.
- The major problem that has been observed is that because of the problem of constipation young girls of the reproductive age often tend to overfeed themselves because they believe that by pressurizing their bowels , they can actually pass out easily.
REMEDIES FOR CONSTIPATION DUE TO PCOD
- It is advisable to eat a food rich on fibre, not overfeed on the same, the reason being a diet only consisting of fiber shall lead to inflammation of the kidneys and also gall bladder stones.
- Drink a lot of water and fluids to keep oneself hydrated because it will give the person a feeling being full and also prevent the process of over eating and also soothen the inflammation in ones intestines.
- Reduce the intake of GI foods, the foods that are on the higher scale of the GI index should be avoided because they in turn increase the levels of sugar in the blood stream.