Whether you are just starting your fitness journey or looking for a new way to stay fit and healthy, a pilates reformer might be just what you need. As with anything, though, there are some things to consider before buying one.
The Pilates Reformer is a great home exercise equipment to start with if you want to improve your core strength, flexibility and balance. You will need the Pilates Reformer, a mat, straps, and some instruction.
To start with pilates reformers,
- Lie on your back on the mat with your feet flat on the floor and your arms at your sides.
- Cross your ankles so that both legs are together.
- Place your hands palms down on the mat beside your hips.
- Inhale and slowly exhale as you tighten your abdominal muscles (abdominal muscles should be tightened all the way to the spine).
- Hold for two seconds and release.
- Repeat six times.
If you’re looking for an effective, beginner-friendly way to work your whole body, Pilates with pilates reformers is the perfect exercise. Here are the top reasons why Pilates is great for beginners:
- Pilates is a low-impact workout that can be done at home; no need for expensive equipment or a gym membership.
- Pilates helps tone and tighten your muscles while increasing flexibility and range of motion.
- Pilates is an efficient exercise that burns calories quickly and helps improve your posture and alignment.
- Pilates can be modified to fit any fitness level, making it an excellent choice for beginner and advanced exercisers.
- Pilates can be used as a standalone exercise or as part of a balanced fitness program that includes cardio, strength training, and stretching.
How to Start a Home Workout Program
You’ll need some equipment if you’re looking to start your own pilates reformers workout program. Here’s a list of the essentials:
Pilates reformer: This is the main piece of equipment you’ll need for your workout. Pilates reformers are stationary machines that offer various exercises that target the core, back, and abdominal muscles.
Mat: Pilates reformer usually comes with a mat, so you don’t need to buy one separately.
Ball: Pilates reformer usually comes with a ball, so you don’t need to buy one separately.
Cordless drill: A cordless drill will help you make holes in the mat for your Pilates reformer balls.
Pilates reformer balls: You’ll need at least two balls for your reformer workout. These balls are made from soft materials and help to provide extra resistance as you work out on the machine.
Build Up, Build Out: The Principle of Progressive Resistance
In Pilates reformer exercise equipment, the tension increases as you work your way up the machine. This principle of progressive resistance results in muscle growth and improved flexibility. To help you get started, here are some popular five exercises to do on a Pilates reformer:
- Chair Side Plank
- Bird Dog
- Swiss Ball Glute Bridge
- Hamstring Curl with Resistance Band
- Calf Raise
If you’re considering using a reformer pilates machine at home, there are a few things to remember. Here are some popular tips to help you get started:
- Choose the right reformer pilate machine.
- Warm up before you start.
- Use the correct Pilates exercises for your level.
- Take breaks and drink water.
Pilates is an intense workout that can lead to injury if done incorrectly. It is essential to take breaks throughout your workout and drink plenty of fluids to keep yourself safe and hydrated.